Messaging Giant Company, WhatsApp has been ordered to stop sharing data with its mother company Facebook. The Tech giant Facebook has new clauses added to its terms of service. Since last year, it has been sharing data with Facebook. The aim was to develop targeted advertising, security measures, and to gather business intelligence.
However, France’s ultra-strict privacy watchdog CNIL is against this new clause. CNIL upon receiving the document ordered the company to stop sharing user data from its WhatsApp platform. Whatsapp has has a month to comply with the order, according to a public notice posted to the French website. The query began after WhatsApp added to its terms of service last year that it shares data with Facebook.
WhatsApp Ordered to stop sharing user data with Facebook.
According to CNIL The Chair of the National Data Protection Commission (CNIL) issues a formal notice to the company WHATSAPP to legally transfer its users’ data to FACEBOOK, especially by obtaining their consent.
WhatsApp Breaches of the Data Protection Act By sharing user data with Facebook.
The CNIL was informed by the company that the data of its 10 Million French users have actually never been processed for targeted advertising purposes. However, the investigations found violations of the French Data Protection Act.
Whatsapp transferring data to FACEBOOK is not validly collected because:
- it is not specific to this purpose – when installing the application, users must accept that their data are processed for the messaging service, but also, in general, by FACEBOOK Inc. for accessory purposes such as the improvement of its service;
- it is not free – the only way to refuse the data transfer for “business intelligence” purpose is to uninstall the application.
How To Stop Whatsapp From Sharing Your Data.
This is how to stop WhatsApp from sharing your details with Facebook
1. Tap Settings > Account.
2. Uncheck Share my account info.
1. Tap the three dots icon on the top-right.
2. Tap Settings > Account.
3. Uncheck Share my account info.